Reflection from 2011 President
As my term comes to a close, and as I reflect on the amazing accomplishments we have had this past year, I am overcome with so many emotions –many I cannot even begin to describe. We have a tendency to execute, execute, execute and move forward, but that often leads us to underestimate the transformations that our house has been through in the past year
When I first crossed into the house, I never dreamed in a million years that I would one day I would get the opportunity to be part of the tremendous growth that our house has undergone. We went from a house of 19 girls when the Alpha Betas first joined, to now 33 active sisters –one of the largest chapters in the nation. Yet, despite our size, our sisterhood is the strongest it has ever been and I am sure the ABs can attest to that. Through our interactions, I see our undying love and support for one another (especially during the hard times this semester, such as losing some of our closest friends) and witnessing this sisterhood is what fuels my determination every morning. The average of 10 sisters at every sisterhood event is proof of a bond that exists that no “requirement” could ever replace.
What continually puts me in awe is the dedication our chapter has to KDPhi to always challenge the status quo and continually make our sorority better. I could not have asked for a better VP Internal, Jonalyn Ongos, to be my partner in making KDPhi into what it is today. Every time my ideas are challenged by Lyn or another sister, two sisters, or the house, I can’t help but welcome it and smile in the back of my mind because I truly see how much we all care about making KDPhi the best that it can be.
Finally, I want to thank you all for helping me grow in so many ways into a better leader and most importantly, a better person. Every day has been a tremendous learning experience that I still cannot believe I was lucky enough to be a part of. I will continue to grow from the lessons you all have taught me this past year. But if I could impart just one simple (yes, it’s cliché) piece of advice to the future leaders of KDPhi, I learned that there is no better way to lead than to always lead with your heart. Because as long as you truly care about KDPhi, no matter what happens at the end of the day –good outcome or bad outcome –you walk away knowing your actions have been dictated by the spirit of betterment for the sorority.
I know that next year will be even better, and I am extremely honored and even more humbled to have served as your 2011 alpha Kappa Delta Phi Theta Chapter President.
Love and Friendship,
- In the Spring, we had an amazing rush spearheaded by Tina Sun and Amy Aw. And for the first time, we implemented a wildly successful Dance Night open rush event –choreographed by Irene Lee.
- We crossed 7 new girls into the house as the Alpha Epsilon Class with Julie Shen as the VP Pledge Educator.
- Simultaneously, we submitted an application for NESC and were selected as the host chapter.
- We worked as a house to secure hotel, food, banquet, favors, and programming to accommodate over 200 girls who came out to Philadelphia.
- We brought NESC to an unprecedented level (and one that no other chapter has been able to replicate) through our confirmation of nationally notable speakers such as Director Iris Shim and Spoken-Word Artist Kelly Tsai.
- For the first time, our chapter choreographed a dance routine and performed it.
- Spearheaded by Jenny Fan, we created a video to the song Baby by Justin Bieber in which Michelle Leong began her rapping career.
- Performed a new aKDPhi stroll for NESC.
- We made approximately $800 in our Krispy Kreme fundraiser in April, 15% of which went to Breast Cancer Awareness Research.
- From our NESC party, we raised $362 for Japan Earthquake Relief.
- This Fall, we received $700 in sales from our Breast Cancer Awareness Coffeehouse event.
- Everyone completed their Community Service Requirements thanks to April Soohoo and Joan Liu.
- In the Spring, we had 3 mixers with DXPsi, Beta Pi Phi, and for the first time with the brothers of LUL.
- In the Fall, we had 4 mixers with DXPsi, Beta Pi Phi, and for the first time the Glee Club and Westpoint.
- Hosted Ultraviolet party in collaboration with PTS and KSA
- We won the Academic Achievement Award and Outstanding Community Service Award for MGC.
- At convention, our chapter was runner up for Academic Achievement on a national scale.
- Both Jenny Fan and Julie Shen won the aKDPhi National Scholar Award 2011 and are selected into the Oracle Senior Honor Society.
- 100% attendance at ALL roll calls at convention (which has never happened since I crossed).
- Nancy Liu wins Big Asian on Campus with her amazing voice.
- Michelle Leong is elected as the Asian Pacific Student Coalition Chair.